At Manchester Academy we now offer students the opportunity to study AQA Design and Technology. This course prepares students to participate confidently and successfully in an increasingly technological world. Students will gain awareness and learn from wider influences on Design and Technology including historical, social, cultural, environmental and economic factors.
Students will get the opportunity to work creatively when designing and making and apply technical and practical expertise. This GCSE allows students to study core technical and designing and making principles, including a broad range of design processes, materials techniques and equipment. They will also have the opportunity to study specialist technical principles in greater depth within the context of a chosen material area. Here we focus on looking at Design and Technology within a Timber based context.
The students will be assessed on the production of a substantial Design and Make Task (50%) and complete an externally assessed exam (50%). This will give the them a good foundation for moving onto a wide range of Design courses where they will continue to further specialise as they refine their knowledge of this fast moving and ever changing subject that effects every aspect of our lives.
In Food and Hospitality, we teach students how to cook a range of nutritional and healthy dishes from around the world. We build confidence in students to work independently with flair and creativity to produce a wide range of high skilled dishes.
- Students will be taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating, instilling a love of cooking that will open the door to one of the great expressions of human creativity. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that we develop to enable students to feed themselves and others affordably and well - now and in later life.
- Students are taught how to modify and adapt recipes, apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating.
- They are introduced to the ‘Eat Well Guide’, the nutritional value of food and health and safety when preparing and making food.
- Students will learn the importance of hygiene and the potential hazards when working in the technical area from Year 7 onwards.
- They will demonstrate a repertoire of predominantly savoury dishes as part of a healthy and varied affordable diet.
- Students are encouraged to use ingredients to make healthy nutritious dishes and reduce food waste in the home. The theoretical understanding and knowledge gained will lead students to self-sufficiency and independence beyond their time in the Academy.
All these skills are critical to the future success of students both domestically and if they choose further food-based learning.